The former chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms whose immediate disengagement from service was ordered by President Mohammed Buhari on Monday, October 23, 2017, Mr. Abdullah AbdulRasheed Maina has eloped. The order of removal came after the President, on his arrival to the country from a trip to Turkey got the news of the reinstatement of Maina as Director in the Federal Civil Service after the EFCC had declared him wanted in 2015 for a N2 billion pension scam in 2012. Reacting to the shocking news, President Mohammadu Buhari had ordered his immediate removal and had requested for “a full report of the circumstances of his recall and posting to the Ministry of Interior”.
Encomium.ng brings you things you should know about his recall…
- It was reported that a committee consisting of top officials who are members of the Senior Staff Committee (SSC) from the Ministry of Interior endorsed Maina’s reinstatement.
2. A league of civil society group has said that the recall was because ” a perpetual injunction restraining his arrest still stands even after the judge had ruled that status-quo be maintained in this case”. This according to the group was neither appealed nor upturned by a superior court.
3. Senator Isah Misau during a plenary session today had raised order 43 over the recall.
4. Another Senator, Olusola Adeyeye has stated that certain people in the executive are working against the government.
5. Senator Shehu Sani has suggested that the recall is as a result of the cabal’s backing.
6. It has been reported that contrary to initial reports stating that the head of Civil Service of the Federation, Mrs Winifred Oyo-Ita had a hand in the recall, she didn’t.
7. Mrs Winifred Oyo-Ita had reportedly advised against Maina’s recall but was overruled.
8. Another report revealed that the reinstatement was done following advice from the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami.
9. The reports revealing how Maina was reinstated had been submitted to the President’s chief of staff, by the Head of Service, Mrs Winifred Oyo-Ita.
10. There have been calls for the removal of the Attorney General of the Federation following the recall of Maina.
– Azeezat Kareem