The brilliance of Mr. Atedo Peterside, today May 16, 2016 shone on TV yet again for Nigerians to see when he spoke extensively on the recent removal of petrol subsidy by the Federal Government.
He was able to connect with many Nigerians with his analyses of the Nigerian economy in relation to deregulation as he explained why the time was right for Nigeria to finally get rid of the subsidy on petrol once and for all.
This has led to many accolades being showered on him from many quarters even as others asked who exactly the man, Atedo Peterside was.
Encomium.ng presents some details about Atedo Peterside that Nigerians should know.
- He bagged the Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) award in the 2010/2011 national honours awards as approved by former president, Goodluck Jonathan.
- He is the Founder of Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc, where he was the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Bank in February 1989 at age 33 (then IBTC) until 2007 and then Chairman from 2007 until September 2014. He is currently Chairman of Stanbic IBTC Holdings PLC and is also a Director of both The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Bank Group Limited.
- He lives in front of Bonny Camp, Victoria Island Lagos where his company, IBTC’s headquarters is located.
- He is also the Chairman and Founder of ANAP Business Jets Limited.
- He is a staunch supporter of former President, Goodluck Jonathan.
- Between 2011 and May 2015, Mr Peterside was a member of the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) and was also the Chairman of the NCP’s Technical Committee, in which capacity he oversaw Nigeria’s power sector privatisation programme, which culminated in the privatisation of all the electricity distribution companies in Nigeria and virtually all the generation companies which were previously a part of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria. He was also a member of the National Economic Management Team between 2011 and May 2015.
- He loves playing Polo and is said to never miss any polo tournament.
- He is married to Dudun Peterside, a fashionista who also plays Polo. She actually introduced her husband to horse riding during their courtship. Dudun is a top member of the Lagos Polo Club. They both buy their breed as ponies from Argentina and employ the services of professional grooms to train them.
- He is the Non-Executive Chairman of Cadbury Nigeria Plc and also sits on the Board of Directors of Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc, Nigerian Breweries Plc (Heineken Subsidiary) and Unilever Nigeria Plc.
- He was the Chairman of the Committee on Corporate Governance of Public Companies in Nigeria which crafted the first Code of Best Practices for Public Companies operating in Nigeria. The Code was published in October 2003.
- His eyeglasses is always suspended around his neck.
- He lost his father, Mr. Michael Clement Atowari, an Ophthalmologist and a retired Controller of Medical Services in the Old Rivers State, in January 2016 aged 97.
Daniel Fayemi for encomium.ng