In the evening of Saturday, November 18, 2017, at their Maitama, Abuja home, Bilyamin Mohammed Bello was allegedly stabbed several times by his wife, Maryam Sanda, and he was pronounced dead in a hospital.
With tales of love gone sour and another woman in the picture, more details are emerging about the tragic death of the businessman.
Here are some clearer details about the calamity as compiled by Encomium Weekly:
1. Bilyamin was reportedly stabbed in the back, neck and chest by Maryam while he was sleeping. She was reportedly upset after reading text messages he exchanged with a lover.
Some said she also stabbed him on his private part.
2. She drove him to a hospital, but he eventually died.
3. The Federal Capital Territory Police Command confirmed the homicide and stated that a female suspect was in their custody.
The police spokesman, Anjuguri Manzah revealed that the case is being investigated.
4. Bilyamin who would have been 36 on Thursday, November 23, was a real estate developer and businessman.
5. His father, Haliru Mohammed Bello, 72, is from Birnin Kebbi (Kebbi state) and was the acting chairman of Peoples Democratic Party’s Board of Trustees between March 25, 2015, and February 10, 2016.
He was Minister of Defense from July 2011 to June 2012.
And Minister of Communications from June 2001 to May 2003.
6. The father was said to have prevailed on Bilyamin to marry Maryam Sanda. Bilyamin was once married to Fakriyyah, whom he divorced following taunts by Maryam. Fakhriyya was then studying abroad.
7. They married about two years ago, and they have a daughter.
8. Maryam Sanda’s mother is the embattled former executive director of Aso Savings and Loans, Hajia Maimuna S. Aliyu.
She was dropped as a nominee on the board of Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission in August 2017.
9. Maryam has been accused of violence, and at a time bit off part of her husband’s ear.
10. He was said to be contemplating divorce as he plotted to take a new wife.
11. Bilyamin was buried on Sunday, November 19, and his wife may face manslaughter charges.
12. Maryam Sanda may be charged with murder or manslaughter which attracts long years in prison. It may be as long as life imprisonment or 25 years.
13. Maryam Sanda reportedly claimed that her husband died from injuries when both struggled and he fell onto a glass and shisha apparatus. The scene was reportedly wiped of blood as she denied being responsible for his death.