21 years ago, ‘Made’, the oldest son of Afrobeat singer, Femi Kuti and Funke Kuti, and the grandson of the late legendary Afrobeat musician, Fela Kuti, was born. The youngster who is ready to take over from his father’s band, is making waves with his talent as he has been touring round the world entertaining people.
Encomium.ng brings you 13 fascinating facts you need to know about Femi Kuti’s oldest son, ‘Made’…..
1. ‘Made’ was born September 26, 1996.
2. His parents are Femi Kuti and Funke Kuti, the ex-wife of Femi.
3. He is the first son and child of Femi Kuti.
4. He attended CTC primary school and Beehive school.
5. A student of the Trinity Laban Conservatoire of music and dance in London.
6. His interest in music started at the age of two when he picked up a trumpet and kept blowing into it (and actually producing sound) to his surprise.
7. Though tender, ‘Made’ started playing with his father when he was five years old at the opening of the Shrine.
8. He started touring with his father, Femi Kuti, when he was eight years old.
9. ‘Made’ has toured Europe, Australia and Asia with his father, although he is yet to begin his solo journey in the Nigerian music industry.
10. He started playing the electric guitar when he was about 12 or 13 years.
11. He is a core member of his father’s band. He has well played bass guitar to groove with his father’s band.
12. He solos on alto saxophone and switches between the horn section and percussion (not really needing to be there) during the performance.
13. He once held a very important position of bass player and it was awesome.
From all indications, with the grooming of ‘Made’ Kuti, it is obvious that Femi Kuti, his father is determined to pass on his music legacy to the next generation.
- Chika Okorie for encomium.ng