The 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo, Otunba Gani Adams has been in the news for a while now, even before he was announced the Aare Ona Kakanfo by the Alaafin Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi on Sunday, October 15, 2017. The popular activist and politician has been reported severally for one thing or the other.
encomium.ng brings you quick facts about the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yoruba land.
- He was born on April 30, 1970, in Arigidi-Akoko in Akoko North-West, Ondo state.
- His parents are Pa Lamidi Adams and Mrs Dada Adams (nee Aduloju).
- He started his primary education at Army Children School, Oturkpo and left when he was in primary 3 when his father got transferred to Lagos. He later completed his primary school education at Municipal Primary School in Surulere in the year 1980.
- He attended Ansar-ud-deen Grammar School, Randle Avenue, Surulere.
- He went for furniture making and interior decorating training and completed it in 1987.
- He worked with the Italian Construction Company, Visinoni Stabilini, Apapa, Lagos state and later resigned to set up his own furniture making/interior decoration business.
- He became an active Pro-Democracy activist in 1992 when he started with the Campaign for Democracy.
- He became the Public Relations Officer of Mushin Local Government chapter in 1993.
- He bagged a diploma in International Affairs and Strategic Studies from the Lagos State University. He also has a diploma in Tourism Management from the International Aviation School, Tema, Ghana in 2003.
- He was declared wanted in the year 2000 by the then Inspector General of Police, Musiliu Smith with a reward of N100,000 over his group’s involvement in violent clashes.
- He was arrested on August 22, 2001, and was later released.
- He is a dedicated advocate of Ifa education and has promoted various Yoruba festivals including Osun Osogbo, Oke Ibadan, Ifa festival, Okota festival (held in Arigidi-Akoko, Ondo state from June
20th – 24th of every year), among others.
- He has taken Yoruba cultural crusade to countries like Brazil, Ethiopia, Ghana and Namibia.
- He participated in National Peace Forum and was appointed a Peace Envoy. He was also awarded the Ambassador for Peace by the Universal Peace Federation and International Federation for World Peace.
- He is married to Erelu Mojisola Adams and has two kids.
He is the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo of the Yoruba land, taking over from Late MKO Abiola who died 19years ago.
- Azeezat Kareem