The multiple award-winning actress, Joke Silva, is a year older today (Friday, September 29, 2017).
Fondly called the ‘Silva’ lining of the Nigerian film and entertainment industry, she was born some 55 years ago.
encomium.ng outlines remarkable things about the beautiful role interpreter as she clocks 55:
1. Silva was born September 29, 1961 in Lagos, into a family of four children. Her mother, Adebimbola Silva, a pioneering female doctor, died in
July 2015. Her father was a lawyer.
2. She attended Holy Child College in Lagos. A graduate of the University of Lagos and Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Arts in London.
3. She began a career in film in the early 1980s.
4. She kicked off her acting career on stage. However, the movies ‘Violated’ by Amaka Igwe and Yoruba film ‘Owulorojo’ (1993) brought her into limelight.
5. Silva is married to veteran actor Olu Jacobs and they have two children. The couple met in 1981 at the National Theatre, Lagos during the 21st Independence anniversary.
6. Silva is Director of Studies at the Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts, while her husband chairs it. Lufodo Academy is one of several assets the
couple own as part of the Lufodo Group, including Lufodo Productions, Lufodo Consult, and Lufodo Distribution.
7. She is also the pioneering managing director of Malete Film Village, in association with Kwara State University.
8. In 2006 she won “Best Actress in a Leading Role” at the 2nd Africa Movie Academy Awards for her performance in Women’s Cot , and ” Best Actress in a Supporting Role” at the 4th Africa Movie Academy Awards in 2008 for her performance as a grandmother in White Waters.
9. Silva is also the recipient of an EMOTAN Award from African Independent Television (AIT) and the SOLIDRA Award for Visual Art.
10. In October 2012, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime appointed Joke Silva a goodwill ambassador.
11. Silva has curated for the Bank of Industry (BOI) in Theatre, Film, Documentary and Poetry and the 2012 London Olympics.
12. On 29 September, 2014, Silva was honoured as a Member of the Order of the Federal Republic, one of Nigeria’s national awards, at the.International Conference Centre in Abuja.
13. In September 2016 she was unveiled as the brand ambassador for AIICO Pension Managers Limited (APML).
14. Joke is a talented writer, director, producer and actor. She is renowned for the memorable roles she played both off and on screen.
Her award winning career is rivaled by few and respected by many.
15. In addition to her work as an actress, Silva is a philanthropist and a strong supporter of women’s emancipation and empowerment, contributing to their education, training and progress.
- Chika Okorie for encomium.ng