-As Davido, Tiwa Savage, Flavour shine
+Nigerian fashion rocked on the carpet
With multiple nominations, P-Square and Wizkid who were not present at the awards did not pick up any award throughout the ceremony. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Olamide and 2Face, who was a guest artiste at the grand-finale of Nigerian Idol, were also missing at the awards. 2Face missed the MAMAs for a paid show in Lagos.
Meanwhile, Nigerian superstars such as Davido, Tiwa Savage, Flavour and Clarence Peters were lucky to win at the biggest awards show in Africa. The Eminado singer who won the award for Best Female dedicated her award to her husband, thanking him for all the hard work in her career so far.
She said, “I just want to thank God, fans, 323 Entertainment, my label, Mavin… my producer and boss, Don Jazzy and finally, I want to say thank you to the most handsome and amazing husband in the whole wide world, TeeBillz who has put so much to make our story a success… Thank you and I love you very much!”
Tiwa later performed a mash up of Surulere with Dr Sid, Don Jazzy and Phyno wearing a customized sequined boyfriend Tee-shirt which had “Mrs Billz” written across.
Davido also carted home two awards.
Receiving the award for Artiste of the Year and Best Male, Omo Baba Olowo crooner said, “I am so grateful to God and my fans… I am just 21 and I’m living my dreams… Thank you Africa.”
The fourth edition of the MTV Africa Music Awards has proved the biggest awards show in Africa and will not leave the minds of guests and the millions of people who watched the show live.
The event, which held on Saturday, June 7, 2014, at the International Conference Centre in Durban, South Africa witnessed exciting experiences including live performances by Fally Ipupa, Michael Lowman, Don Jazzy, DJ Clock, Beatenberg, D’Banj, Burna Boy, Ice Prince, Sarkodie, Dr Sid, French Montana, Miguel, Trey Songz, Davido, Uhuru, Mafikizolo, Oskido, Professor, Tiwa Savage, Flavour, Diamond, Phyno among many others.
The awards which aired live on MTV Base also had different highlights including a moving acoustic guitar tribute to Nelson Mandela by Afro-Soul star, Simphiwe Dana, Marlon Wayans’ grand entrance at the beginning of the show with a blinged-up rickshaw as well as an Acappella mash up by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. The show later ended with all the artists assembled on stage for a medley of French Montana songs including Pop That, Freaks and Ain’t Worried About Nothin!
Winners of the 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards
- Best Male: Davido (Nigeria)
- Best Female: Tiwa Savage (Nigeria)
- Best Group: Mafikizolo (South Africa)
- Best New Act: Stanley Enow (Cameroon)
- Best Live Act: Flavour (Nigeria)
- Best Collaboration: “Y-tjukutja” – Uhuru Ft. Oskido, DJ Bucks, Professor and Yuri Da Cunha (South Africa/Angola)
- Best Hip Hop: Sarkodie (Ghana)
- Best Alternative: Gangs of Ballet (South Africa)
- Best Francophone: Toofan (Togo)
- Best Lusophone: Anselmo Ralph (Angola)
- Artist of the Year: Davido (Nigeria)
- Song of the Year: “Khona” – Mafikizolo ft Uhuru (South Africa)
- Best Video: Clarence Peters (Nigeria)
- Best Pop: Goldfish (South Africa)
- Best International: Pharrell
- Personality of the Year: Lupita Nyong’o (Kenya)
- MTV Base Leadership Award: Ashish J. Thakkar (Tanzania)
- Transform Today Award by Absolut: Clarence Peters (Nigeria)