The death of Mayowa Shukurat Ahmed in the early hours of Sunday, August 21, is a sad commentary on Nigeria’s health system – and from the onset, after her plight came to public space, her survival would have been a miracle.
encomium.ng examines some episodes that diminished her chances of surviving stage 4 ovarian cancer :
1. The lack of world class medical facilities at the beck and call of Nigerians
2. High cost of treating simple ailments, not to talk of complex diseases like cancer
3. The abandonment of the 31 year old to fate, until succor came with the fund raising
4. The scam allegation and investigation which delayed her trip
5. Not concluding on time as to the hospital that could treat her abroad