France and the entire world is yet to get over the shock of the terror attack in the French city of Nice where 84 people died and many others injured after an armed man drove a white truck “loaded with” grenades and other arms into a large crowd of about 1, 500 people celebrating Bastille Day around 10:30 PM on Thursday (July 14, 2016)
Here are 8 highlights you should know about the Nice attack…
- This morning,Friday, July 15, 2016, clearer details emerged with 84 confirmed dead (10 children inclusive), 18 in critical condition, 50 slightly injured and 120 receiving treatment.
- The driver of the 19-tonne truck has been identified as a 31-year-old Tunisian-French man, Mohammed Lahouaiej Bouhlel. He drove at a speed of 60-70km per hour.
- Exactly at10:23 PM, gunshots were heard at the seafront Promenade des Anglais, the location of the attack but was first mistaken for fireworks.
- In November 2015, barely eight months ago, 147 people were killed in coordinated terror attacks in Paris.
- The attacker was shot dead at the scene; he was known to police for lower-level crimes, such as theft and violence, but had not been put on a watch list by French intelligence services.
- The Bastille Day is France biggest public holiday celebrated annually as the symbol of “liberty, equality and fraternity” after the French Revolution of 1789.
- The French president, François Hollande, has declared three days of mourning.
- Leaders of other countries have condemned the attack, shown support and shared condolences with the government and people of France.
– Seyifunmi Adebote for encomium.ng