The early hours of Monday, September 4, 2017, was greeted with the sad demise of a UK based Nigerian, Omena Ubiaro who had lost his wife few weeks ago. Omena, 38, had been battling bowel cancer for 3 years before his wife, Makeda , also 38, got diagnosed of the same disease.
Wife, Makeda had lost the battle on July 29 before Omena lost his on Monday, September 4, leaving behind their five sons.
These are 8 facts to note about the couple:
1. The couple met as teenagers at St. Francis Xavier College in Clapham, South London.
2. They got married in 2004 and moved to Birmingham in 2009.
3.The couple had five children, all boys between ages 7 and 19.
4. The couple renewed their wedding vows in 2014 when the husband, Omena was diagnosed of stage 4 colorectal cancer.
5. The couple’s fate took another twist when the wife, Makeda was diagnosed of the same disease last year August.
6. Makeda bowed to cancer on July 29, this year and this prompted the GoFundMe account created by her husband as he feared their five sons might have to live without parents soon.
7. The GoFundMe account generated over £20,000 through donations.
8. Omena gave in to cancer in the early hours of on Monday, September 4, a day to his wife’s funeral.
– Azeezat Kareem