Politics

After spending 52 days in Sambisa Forest

Chibok schoolgirls reported ill, famished!

+ Jonathan’s secret negotiator unmasked

Chibok schoolgirls

Chibok schoolgirls

AFTER over 50 days in Boko Haram captivity, some of the missing 219 Chibok schoolgirls have taken ill.  And to double their woes, their abductors no longer have enough food to feed them.  Revealing this to the Mail on Sunday, Australian cleric and famous hostage negotiator, Dr. Stephen Davis, said one of the small groups of the girls is sick.

“We had hoped we might convince the commander of the group holding her that she should be released so we could get her medical treatment.

“There are other girls who are not well and we have come close to having them released but their captors fear a trap in which they will be captured in the handover process.

“One girl has what I assume is a broken wrist as they demonstrate to me how she holds her hand. I’ve been told that others are sick and in need of medical attention.  But I’m encouraged by the progress.  Every day, there is the possibility of the release of the girls.

“This is painful for the parents and the nation.  The well-being of the girls is constantly on our minds and we want to see their release as soon as possible.”

Davis who made this known in the online publication of the British newspaper, however, ruled out the possibility of a rescue since the girls are not held in one location.

“There are several groups to deal with as the girls are held in several camps across the Nigerian border in Cameroun, Chad and Niger.  This makes any thought of a rescue highly improbable.  To attempt to rescue one group would only endanger the others.  We must not endanger their lives any further.

“The vast majority of the Chibok girls are not being held in Nigeria.”

Dr. Stephen Davis, ENCOMIUM Weekly’s reliable sources claimed, is actually the Federal Government’s secret negotiator.  The clergy man who was once the Canon Emeritus at the Coventry Cathedral in London and a friend of The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, has been in Nigeria (for weeks) working secretly on the release of the girls who were abducted on April 14, 2014.

We also gathered he was personally invited by President Jonathan after previously brokering a truce between the Federal Government and Niger Delta militants about a decade ago.

Along with the Archbishop, he was allegedly frequently blindfolded and held at gunpoint during his peace work in the once volatile oil-rich region.

Davis was also allegedly consulted when kidnapping got serious in the South East.  And years after he left our shores, the Perth-born Australian is in the forefront of secret marathon negotiations to free the Chibok schoolgirls who are now sick and hungry.

Meanwhile, a new unpublished video reportedly sent by the Islamist sect to President Jonathan has confirmed Davis claim.  The video, we learnt, showed the girls bravely speaking out about their ordeal for the first time.  The footage was taken in a jungle clearing a month after the girls were abducted.  In the video, made available to the Mail on Sunday, eight girls attired in their school uniforms of pale blue gingham, plead for release as they stand in front of a camera.

Also analyzing the controversial video, it was gathered that about four of the girls were heard in Hausa language, explaining that they were taken by force and that they were hungry.

One of them was equally quoted as softly saying, “I never expected to suffer like this in my life.”  Even a third girl allegedly said, they have taken us away by force.  Another message one of the missing Chibok girl passed to the world is that they are not getting enough food.  The video is believed to have been taken by an intermediary on May 19, 2014 to establish that the girls are alive, though they are not in the best of conditions.

That last we saw the Chibok girls was in a pathetic video showing them seated on the ground, dressed in hijabs and reciting the Koran.

Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau who initially threatened to sell or marry off the girls, however, gave a condition for their release.  And that is, swapping them with their detained members.

Weeks after the sect’s offer, the world have been in the dark as regards the Federal Government’s position.  While the official position suggests the authorities are not willing to negotiate with the insurgents, it has now been revealed that President Jonathan has indeed engaged the service of renowned international negotiator, Dr. Stephen Davis to secure the release of the over 200 missing Chibok girls, many of whom have been dispersed into small groups in the forests and across the border.

-UCHE OLEHI

Related Stories:

Comments

comments

About the Author