GENERAL Muhammadu Buhari, 72, winner of March 28, 2015 Presidential poll on the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) is regarded as disciplined, forthright, honest and capable of turning the fortunes of Nigeria around.
On May 29, 2015, the tall, lanky and soft-spoken former Head of State (1983-1985) will be sworn in as Nigeria’s fourth president in this Fourth Republic (after Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Umaru Shehu Yar’Adua and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan).
Many things are known about the man of few words, but here are his best-kept secrets…
- Last of his father’s 24 children
- Has only one surviving sibling, an elder sister (Hajia Rakiya Adamu)
- Left his first wife after the Babangida coup of 1985
- Remarried Aishat (Ribadu), shortly after she left secondary school
- He’s known as ‘Leko’, because he was born after a set of twins
- He had 10 children (but two have passed on)
- His wife, Aishat holds an NCE, bachelors and masters degree as well as a certificate in cosmetology