News, People

CHIEF OBIANODO spends sixth week in U.S hospital

– ‘He’s responding to treatment’ – family member
BILLIONAIRE transporter and owner of The Young Shall Grow Motors Limited, Chief Vincent Obianodo has spent over one month in a U.S hospital after suspected assassins attempted to kill him. But a family member, who pleaded anonymity, told ENCOMIUM Weekly he is responding to treatment.
The transport tycoon was flown out of the country on Monday, September 2, 2013, in an air ambulance after his health condition worsened as a result of serious injury he sustained after he was shot severally by suspected assassins.
Chief Obianodo left Nigeria shortly after the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), visited him at Lagoon Hospital, Apapa, Lagos.
Sources revealed that gun-totting hoodlums blocked The Young Shall Grow Motors boss’ Lexus Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) that fateful night of Wednesday, August 28, 2013, and started pumping bullets into it. ENCOMIUM Weekly learnt that after the transporter was hit on the left shoulder, he laid flat on the steering wheel as bullets were flying around. That prompted an Inspector of Police identified as Simon Ogbueshi, who was reportedly sitting in front of his vehicle, to sprint to action as he quickly responded by releasing bullets from his own weapon towards their attackers. The exchange of fire that ensued when more policemen arrived the crime scene allegedly left two suspects and a police orderly dead.
Chief Obianodo was reportedly so shocked by the attempt on his life that he told those around him it would have been sad news for the over 10,000 people he feeds if he was killed.
A philanthropist of note, the owner of Rockview Hotels, located across major towns in Nigeria has over 20,000 people in his employ. His flagship, The Young Shall Grow Motors (he started over 40 years ago) is one of the biggest transport companies in Nigeria. Other than transport business, Chief Obianodo is also into real estate, product supplies, import and export of goods.
And since hoodlums attempted to kill him around his Lagos house, prominent Nigerians, irrespective of their tribe and status have been condemning the attack on his life. He would be spending his sixth week in a medical facility in the U.S, where he is said to be recuperating.
Meanwhile, the police are yet to conclude investigations into the alleged attempted assassination of the popular Igbo transporter. We could not confirm from the Lagos State Command if the suspects, so far arrested, are ready to be charged weeks after they were apprehended.
Contacted on Saturday, October 5, 2013, to know the progress made so far on the matter, Lagos PPRO, Ngozi Braide, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) told ENCOMIUM Weekly she was just returning from her leave. And would confer with her deputy before making a categorical statement on the case. She sent us a text message on Sunday, October 6, 2013, informing us that “investigations are still ongoing. No hope is lost.”

– UCHE OLEHI

Related Stories:

Comments

comments

About the Author