Cover Stories, News, People

Fred Ajudua’s Last Days in Kirikiri Prisons


Fraud suspect, Chief Fred Ajudua is still hospitalized at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi Araba, Lagos. He was rushed there from Kirikiri Maximum Prisons where he was remanded following Justice Olubunmi Oyewole’s order that he should be remanded there while his trial lasts.

The Ibusa, Delta State born socialite has not enjoyed the best of health since he was remanded in Kirikiri and reports have it that he is suffering from kidney related ailment, the problem he has been battling since 2005 when he was granted bail to go and take care of his health.

He is said to have suffered a relapse on Saturday, August 3, 2013, and was rushed to the medical facility at Kirikiri Maximum Prisons but because the centre could not handle his case, he was referred to LUTH. Kirikiri Prisons sources disclosed to ENCOMIUM Weekly that the socialite has spent six weeks at LUTH, by which period his counsel, Olalekan Ojo filed an application for his bail because of his health condition. Reprieve, however, came the way of Chief Fred Ajudua on Tuesday, September 10, 2013.

When the presiding judge, Ganiyu Safari, granted the prayers on the ground of his (Ajudua) failing health. We were reliably informed that there was a medical report provided by the hospital to back up the bail application.

Fred Ajudua, according to prison sources, did not enjoy his stay at Kirikiri due to his health challenge. Before his final admission, he had been taken to the prison’s clinic several times. He had also been to LUTH once before his final admission.

Our sources revealed he is presently at LUTH and if all things work according to plan, he may be flown abroad for further medical attention. It was reported that he was an outpatient at Grants Medical Foundation in India and that may be his likely destination if eventually he would be flown abroad.

Chief Fred Ajudua and one Charles Ovie were accused by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commissioner (EFCC) of allegedly swindling Remy Gina and Pierre Vijgen, two Dutch businessmen of $169 million between July 1999 and September 2000.

He was arraigned in 2003, but his trial could not continue as he was granted bail by Justice Olubunmi Oyewole of the Lagos High Court in 2005 for medical attention. He reappeared in June 11, 2013, and the trial continued. His several applications for bail were thrown out on the basis that he had enjoyed such privilege in the past but eloped until recently when he re emerged.




About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.