Former Head of Service (HOS) of Osun State, Mr. Segun Akinwusi has stated that a petition against him to the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) allegedly masterminded by the state governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola was a great error as this cannot silence him from pointing out the errors of his government.
Akinwusi in a statement in Osogbo on Thursday, July 7, 2016 expressed surprise that four years after his retirement, “a cooked up allegation of Abuse of Office” would be leveled against him by Aregbesola’s government.
The former HOS who served both Olagunsoye Oyinlola’s and the present state administrations before his retirement in 2012 described the petition as a trivial pursuit against him due to his constant criticism of Aregbesola government.
“When a government chooses to indulge in trivialities, the end result is for it to be looking for scapegoats to cover its infamy.
“Osun state economy has collapsed, the debt profile has reduced the state indigenes to beggars and destitute.
“Recently the state government in its trivial pursuit sent a petition to the EFCC alleging me of “Abuse of office” occasioned by a befitting send-off organized for me on retirement in 2012 by unions in the civil service. It was alleged in their letter to the organization that I forcibly directed civil servants to contribute certain sum of money for me to purchase a vehicle and thereafter took away the remainder of the money so contributed.
“Let me state clearly that the decision to organize a send-off for me and the gift of a car were entirely those of the union leaders. Thank God most of those involved are still around to corroborate my position. At no time did I demand, request or force anything on any officer”, he said.
Akinwusi who served as HOS for eight years stated that he had well prepared for his retirement since 2010 adding that apart from the civil service unions, others such as the Forum for Administrative Officers, the Forum of General Managers/Executive Secretaries and the Modakeke/Ode-Omu Indigenes gave him befitting departure ceremonies.
He said those that took decision for the send-off and the organisers especially the erstwhile union leaders of Joint Negotiating Council (JNC) are still available to shed light on the matter.
The ex-HOS who said he served meritoriously for 35 years noted that the EFCC is supposed to be a serious organization and therefore should not be used as agent of blackmail, oppression and vendetta.
“If the government wants to indict me for any wrongdoings the evidence of which had been their greatest headache since my foray into politics and my tireless efforts to make this government truly accountable, they had better looked elsewhere”, he stated.
- Daniel Fayemi for encomium.ng