On Friday, July 15, 2016, woman of means and socialite, Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija staged a twin event marking her 65th birthday and 40th wedding anniversary. First was a service at the Cathedral Church on Marina followed by her roller coaster gig with high society at Oriental Hotel, Victoria Island (both in Lagos).
Here are 12 short takes from the shindig enjoyed by scores of heavyweights:
- The colour code was light blue and gold … And many of the guests, especially ladies displayed their dress sense in breath taking numbers, from body hugging two piece togs to dresses and iron and buba, mainly in blue.
- The celebrant wore sunshine yellow and light yellow ensemble with her signature gele. Her husband, Mr. Modupe Alakija, adorned blue lace agbada along with their four sons (Dele, Rotimi, Folarin and Ladi).
- Mrs. Alakija later changed to a light lemon ensemble decorated with pink at the party.
- Femi Otedola, Forte Oil’s elongated shadow, chose his uniform of white brocade buba and sokoto, black shoes and a simple watch with black strap on his right wrist.
- There were many people who preferred other colours – Chief (Mrs) Onikepo AKANDE chose light yellow with blue embellishments, Ms Moji Okoya opted for white lace, Mrs Folake Majin in a beautiful rainbow coalition, Mrs. Bolanle Ambode in light yellow but blue gele and Ipele, Mrs. Stella Okolie in black dress with shimmering stones, Mrs. Ndubuisi Kano in golden yellow, Mrs. Iluyomade in silver laden with stones, Mrs Teni Aofiyebi in sunshine yellow, Mrs. Kemi Nelson chose golden yellow and blue, Mrs. Toyin Saraki picked shades of brown (but later changed to cream), Dr. Doyin Abiola wore a collage of colours, Mrs Funsho Amosun wore yellow, green and brown, Mrs. Enem Akenzua delighted in green…
- We saw Otunba Michael Olasubomi Baloun in his flowing white agbada accompanied by his wife, Chief Ernest Shonekan in off white came with his better half, Senator Gbenga Ashafa wore a joyful blue agbada trimmed with checks, Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye was in light brown.
- The anchors were Helen Paul and Koffi.
- The very simple former First Lady of Lagos, Dame Emmanuella Abimbola Fashola was serenaded by those who forever appreciate are easy going, no pretenses nature. Many took selfies and photographs with her.
- Alakija was ever joyous and danced away the night. She was sprayed naira notes by some of the guests. Her husband joined her on the floor and also spayed her N1,000 notes.
- Many used the gig to reignite their friendship. They talked away the night.
- The occasion was also used to present some of her books.
- Masks were distributed at a point, and many broke into hearty laughter.