Thursday, July 21, 2016, marked the end of the strike action embarked upon by Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile Ife as Anthony Elujoba, a Professor of Pharmacy, emerged the new acting Vice Chancellor following the directives given by the Federal Government that the Senate should use its internal mechanism in selecting a new Vice Chancellor.
Students and Staff of the Obafemi Awolowo University who had earlier protested against the former Vice Chancellor, Prof Bamitale Omole, and the eligibility of Prof Ayobami Salami expressed delight as the Federal Government intervened in the matter; President Buhari felt concerned about the prolonged strike action and addressed a letter to the Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Professor Julius Amioba Okojie, directing the Senate not to consider any of the candidates who earlier contested for the position.
Hours later, the emergency Senate meeting chaired by Professor Omolayo Ajayi, the outgoing Deputy Vice Chancellor, Administration, recommended Professor Anthony Elujoba to occupy the office of Vice-Chancellor pending further development after a landslide 201 votes accrued against the 5 votes of Professor Lamikanra.
With an end to the #ReopenOAU social media protest and the emergence of an acting Vice Chancellor for Nigeria’s 3rd best and the world’s 2119th University, here is what we know about Professor Anthony Adebolu Elujoba…
- Born in 1948, Elujoba is a Professor of Pharmacognosis from Osun State, Nigeria.
- Fondly referred to as the ‘village chemist’ because of his involvement in research into medicinal plants.
- He is the President of the African AIDS Research Network, Nigerian Chapter
- Before now, Professor Anthony has served as Member, Management board of natural history museum and PG board; Member, Faculty review panel, Senate Rep on OAU Teaching Hospital Management board; Dean’s rep, Faculty of Technology; Chairman, Faculty PG Committee/ board of studies, Research and selection committee; Chairman, Committee of Deans; chaired the Seminar of the National Association of Botany Students week 2016; served as acting head of Dept of Pharmacognosis; Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy.
- He is an external examiner at numerous university examinations.
- A Member, Board of Trustees of the Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (NEPWHAN) and has close association with persons living with HIV/AIDS.
- He is also a strong advocate of the incorporation of medicinal herbal therapies into the national health care system.
- He is a fellow of the Royal Society of UK Research specialized in Nigerian Medicinal plants.
- A Public Analyst (FDA) and recipient of numerous professional awards.
- Seyifunmi Adebote for encomium.ng