-Inside the Ile-Ife, Benin ceremonies
Saturday, March 12, 2016, was surely a memorable day in the life of His Imperial Majesty, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi (Ojaja II) and that of his new wife, as they both began their journey as a couple. This was consummated in a classy and royal way at an event which held at the bride’s residence at Estate, along Adesuwa off Sapele Road, Benin City.
However, the wealthy and influential monarch was conspicuously absent at the glamorous occasion, but was ably represented by his father, Prince Aderopo Ogunwusi, who reportedly performed all the traditional rites of marriage on behalf of his son. He was said to have lead a delegation which included some of Ife traditional chiefs, other lesser obas in Ife Kingdom and the Iyalodes to Benin where Wuraola was handed over to him after paying a bride price of N25.
Meanwhile, ENCOMIUM Weekly had a couple of days to the wedding, got across to Ooni’s spokesperson, Moses Olafare who confirmed to us that tradition won’t permit the paramount ruler of Ife Kingdom to attend his own wedding.
“It’s against the tradition for Ooni to prostrate for anybody including his father. And if he has to go to his in-laws’ house to take his wife, culture demands that as a groom, he will have to prostrate which is not possible. So, he will be represented at the event. He won’t be there physically.”
The joyous family of Ogunwusi returned to Ile Ife that same day with the new Olori, Wuraola, who was received amid fanfare.
Then, on Sunday, March 13, 2016,an extravaganza dubbed thanksgiving was staged by the couple. The event which held at the Royal Court, Aafin Enuwa Square, Ile Ife attracted dignitaries from far and near amongst whom were Ekiti Governor, Ayodele Fayose, Osun Deputy Speaker, Titi Laoye Tomori, Senator Florence Ita-Giwa, the Olu of Warri, His Majesty, Ogiame Ikenwoli, Emir of Bongu, Alhaji Muhammed Salidunturu and other traditional rulers across the South West.
Other eminent Nigerians who also attended the historic occasion were the Chief Judge of Osun state, Justice Adepele, Ondo All Progressives Congress (APC) guber aspirant, Senator Ajayi Borofice, among others.
Quick facts about Ooni’s royal nuptials
- The recent marriage of Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi on Saturday, March 12, 2016, in Benin City(Edo) in the homestead of the Obanors where he took Wuraola Otiti Zaynab Obanor as wife was a colourful traditional engagement with many family members, led by Ooni’s father, siblings and relations, as well as dignitaries.
- The king himself was far away in Ile Ife (Osun) as tradition forbids him from prostrating, pleading or soliciting for anything.
- Those who know have confirmed that the courtship of the Ooni and his new Olori lasted only a few months. And this revelation confirms the appearance of Wuraola on the scene a few weeks back.
- It’s claimed that an Oracle showed Ooni whom he should marry.
- The bride price paid by the Ooni’s family was N25!
- The colourful reception in Ile Ife on Sunday, March 13, had many dignitaries – and many pictures have surfaced on social media celebrating memorable moments.
- The bride arrived at the palace of her husband in the evening of Sunday, March 12, in preparation for the Sunday ceremonies.
- While Ooni is 41 this year, Olori Wuraola, loved by her husband’s siblings, is in her 30s.