The management of LAWMA would like to reassure all concerned on the measures taken to protect workers in the waste management sector. Below are some of the actions taken so far:
– the purchase and distribution of 10,000 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to LAWMA operatives, PSP operatives and street sweepers which included:
1. Safety goggles
2. Nose masks
3. Hand gloves
4. Safety boots
5. Hazmat suits
6. Hand sanitizers
– Stopped all scavenging activities on all dumpsites
– Fumigation of all dumpsites and depots
– Provision of personal hygiene products to LAWMA operatives, PSP operatives and street sweepers such as
1. Antiseptic bar soaps
2. Hand wash liquids
– Creation of disinfectant bays for the cleaning of trucks and operational vehicles
– Creation of hand washing bays for operational staff presently working during the lockdown
– Sensitization, enlightenment and education
In addition and in response to concerns about exposure of some waste handlers servicing hospitals, today we have commenced testing (in collaboration with the LSMOH) of high risk operatives. The concerned PSP operators will be contacted directly.
Thanks for your support and let us continue to observe all the advice from LSMOH and NCDC. You can be assured that the Lagos State Government under Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu will continue to ensure all necessary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. But we can only achieve this goal if we all work together in the spirit of AJUMOSE.
May God bless and keep us all.
MD – LAWMA