Sidney Onoriode Esiri, a popular Nigerian musician who trained as Dentist before moving into the music industry due to his passion has indeed excelled greatly in entertainment. He joined Mo’hit records in 2007 and was launched into limelight after he released his hit music ‘Pop something’. He is currently signed to Mavin records.
Here are 11 important details to know about the Delta state born songwriter:
1) The Delta state songwriter was born on May 1,1980, and raised in Ikeja area of Lagos state by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Justice Esiri
2) His father was the legendary actor, Justice Esiri who was famous for his role in the popular Nigerian TV sitcom ‘village headmaster’ in 1980s as well as numerous other Nollywood movies, while his mother is a successful fashion designer.
3) Dr Sid, as he is popularly called by his fans, who is the second child out of four children, attended the Nigerian Air force Secondary School, Ikeja and later went to the University of Ibadan (UI) to study Dental Surgery.
4) The entertainer couldn’t hide his flair for entertainment during his school years as he took part in dance competitions, plays and concerts winning numerous awards.
5) After becoming a qualified Dentist, he moved to the UK and was working with the likes of D’Banj, Felix Duke and other entertainers. On returning to Nigeria, he spent the next year practicing as a Dentist at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) and served the mandatory youth corps programme at Adamawa state. The entertainer has also worked in Dental clinics while combining dentistry and music.
6) Dr Sid recorded his first studio album ‘something about you’ in 2008 as a solo artist with Mo’Hits records with Don Jazzy as the producer.
7) The musician and songwriter signed onto Don Jazzy’s Mavin records, after the fall out of the partners Don Jazzy and D’Banj. He has three songs from his album titled ‘Solar plexus’ featured on a Mavin Record compilation.
8) In February 2013, Dr Sid lost his father to Diabetes caused as a result of old age.
9) On July 27 (traditional engagement) and August 2 (white wedding),2014, Dr Sid got married to his long time girlfriend, Simi Osomo. He also got himself a mansion worth N100 million in 2014 although he disclosed that he built it on mortgage.
10) Simi and Dr. Sid have a daughter, Sidney (born May 14, 2015).
11) In 2015, he released another hit song titled, ‘Kabiyesi’. Currently, in 2016 Dr Sid was featured alongside Wizkid in an album titled ‘Emma” by DJ Big N.