OSINBAJO WARNS BIAFRA, AREWA YOUTHS OVER QUIT ULTIMATUM
Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has met with traditional rulers drawn from each senatorial district of the five Southeast states, led by Eze Udo 1 of Mgboko Ngwa Amaise in Abia State, Eze Eberechi Dick, who is also Chairman of Southeast traditional rulers. At the meeting, Osinbajo warned the parties involved in both the renewed agitation for the restoration of Biafra and the ultimatum issued to Igbos to leave the North to desist from such act because they are wrong and unlawful activities.
The Acting President added that the disturbances of peace deserve to be dealt with according to the country’s constitutional provisions. Osinbajo said this at the meeting held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja during the visit of traditional rulers drawn from the five Southeast states.
KOGI YOUTH PASSES VOTE OF CONFIDENCE ON SENATOR DINO MALAYE
Kogi West Senatorial District Youth Assembly have passed Vote of Confidence on the Senator Representing kogi West Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Senator Dino Melaye. The Youths made this declaration during the enlarged Youth Assembly Meeting held in Kabba at Ajoke Hotel Hall on Sunday. Representatives of the various categories of Youths who spoke during the event in unison, acknowledged the superlative performance of Senator Dino Melaye, within the past 24 months since the mandate was entrusted to him, noting that he is truly the right man for the job of good representation.
The youths further acknowledged the fact that he indeed means well for the state. Therefore, the members of the forum have in one accord appreciated him for the giant strides recorded so far in his bid to challenge the government on why the salaries were not paid despite all the money allocated to the state from the Federal government thus pledging to offer more support for him.
‘NOTORIOUS KIDNAPPER’, EVANS, LEADS POLICE TO HIS DETENTION CAMPS
Chukwudumeje Onwuamadike, a notorious kidnapper also known as Evans, has led a team of police officers to what used to be the detention camps for his victims.
According to reports, Evans on Sunday took the police officers to two buildings located in Igando and Ikotun, Lagos where his victims are usually kept in these houses until a ransom is paid.
Evans told journalists that his arrest signals the beginning of the end of kidnapping in the country because his gang employed the use of sophisticated methods which no gang may be able to equal.
The kidnap kingpin who was arrested on June 10, is said to have two mansions in Magodo worth about N300 million and three houses in the highbrow area of Accra city, Ghana. The 36-year-old is believed to have collected millions of dollars in ransom. His wife, Uchenna Precious, says he has cancer and has begged on his behalf, pleading that: “He did not know what he was doing.”
1 MILLION KATSINA PUPILS TO ENJOY FG’S SCHOOLS’ FEEDING PROGRAMME
Over 1 million primary school pupils in Katsina State would benefit from the Federal Government’s Schools’ Feeding programme. The Special Adviser to Governor Aminu Masari on Girl-child Education and Child Development, Hajiya Binta Abba, disclosed this on Sunday in Katsina at the opening ceremony of a one-day workshop on the feeding programme.
She said that the training was organised for local governments Unit Heads of Nutrition, Environmental Sanitation, Health Educators, and Education Secretaries of the 34 Local Education Authorities in the state.
The governor’s aide explained that the programme was designed to provide free meals for pupils of public schools from class one to class three in the state.
She explained that the gesture was capable of assisting in increasing pupils’ enrolment in schools in the state.
Abba, therefore, urged participants to understand what the programme entails and work diligently for the attainment of the desired goal.
DSS VOWS TO HUNT DOWN MASTERMINDS OF HATE PREACH
Weeks after the Arewa Youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbos from the North, the Department of State Services said the perpetrators and carriers of hate speeches that tend to cause havoc in the country should desist or will be dealt with accordingly.
The agency said it has watched with keen interest the trend desperate and mischievous elements have tended to steer the ship of “our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction.” According to a statement by the agency, it informed the public that it will stop at nothing to deploy all resources at its disposal to identify and deal with all those involved.
EL-ZAKZAKY STILL IN DSS CUSTODY, GROUP DISMISSES MINISTER’S CLAIM
A pro-democracy group and concerned Nigerians has insisted that the Shiite leader, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky is still in the custody of the Department of State Services. This is contrary to claims by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed who said the cleric and his wife were being kept in a house built for them by the Federal Government.
The group, in a statement on Sunday, dismissed the minister’s claims as false, stressing that the Shiite leader is still in detention. The statement which was co-signed by the Concerned Nigerians’ convener, Deji Adeyanju and secretary, John Danfulani described Lai’s claim as an insult to the collective sensibility of Nigerians. They noted that the sect leader’s family members and lawyers did not have access to him.
RECALLED JUDGE COLLECTED N90M BRIBE FROM 100 LAWYERS – PRESIDENTIAL AIDE
The Special Assistant to the President on Prosecution, Mr. Okoi Obono-Obla, has said that one of the judges recently recalled from suspension by the National Judicial Council will be charged this week with offences bordering on receiving gratification from lawyers.
He further stated that, the judge was found to have received gratification worth N90 million from 100 lawyers.
The presidential aide alleged that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission would likely file charges against the judge and the lawyers on Tuesday, 20th June, 2017. The judge, whose name was not disclosed, will be the second among the recalled judges, to be charged after the NJC lifted their about-eight-month suspension.
TWO HELD FOR STEALING N1.2M TELEPHONE MAST BATTERIES IN OGUN
Two suspected burglars have been arrested by police in Ogun State for breaking into the mast site belonging to a service provider, Etisalat, located in Isara Remo, and carted away eight heavy duty batteries valued about N1.2 million. According to a release signed by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the state police command, Abimbola Oyeyemi, the duo of Bashiru Jelili and Madu Nwete, were apprehended at their hideout by the police on Saturday afternoon, following a tip off about their nefarious activities.
Oyeyemi, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, said the suspects, who had successfully broken into the site to steal the batteries, sold them to one Obinna, now at large. He added that a preliminary Investigation revealed that the said Obinna was known for receiving stolen properties in the area. Commissioner of Police in the state, Ahmed Iliyasu, has directed that the suspects be charged to court immediately investigation was concluded by the police.
GREATER HOPE LIES AHEAD FOR OUR CHILDREN – AMBODE’S WIFE
As Lagos joined the rest of the world to celebrate this year’s edition of the International Day of the African Child, wife of the State Governor, Mrs. Bolanle Ambode at the weekend expressed optimism that greater hope lies ahead for the Nigerian Child. Mrs. Ambode, who spoke at the celebration of the 2017 International Day of the African Child, organised by the African Women Lawyers’ Association in Alausa, Ikeja, said that though there were subsisting challenges facing the children in some areas, there were sufficient reasons to believe in the realisation of the 2030 continental agenda for sustainable development of the African child.
The governor’s wife, who listed other child-friendly achievements of the state government to include the passage of the Child Right Law, family courts and inter-school sports competition promised that the government would do more to get fulfillment for children in the state. She commended the African Women Lawyers’ Association for their efforts and called on forward-looking bodies and NGOs, to partner the State Government to improve the welfare of children.
NO RESCUED CHIBOK GIRL ESCAPED TO SAMBISA FOREST – JUMMAI
The Minister of Women Affairs, Jummai Alhassan, yesterday refuted the allegation that one of the rescued Chibok girls had escaped. This followed an unconfirmed report that the girl escaped to join her Boko Haram ‘husband’ in the Sambisa Forest in Borno State. According to Alhassan, she said: “No, it is not true. The girls are all in the shelter, hale, hearty and enjoying their programme.” She added that.the rescued girls are camped at an Abuja rehabilitation shelter.
The Federal Government had disclosed that the girls would be enrolled in a school in September to continue their education for a period of four months.
However, a source at Chibok town, who did not want his name to be mentioned, said the girl who sneaked to rejoin her husband was not among the rescued school girls. He said the girl, called Aisha, was allegedly released to her family from the Borno State deradicalisation centre.