- NJC BARS 2 JUDGES FROM HEARING CASES OVER ALLEGED CORRUPTION
The National Judicial Council has prohibited from sitting, judges that are being tried by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for alleged corruption.
Those affected are, Justice Hyeladzira Nganjiwa of the Federal High Court, and Justice Agbadu Fishim of the National Industrial court.
They were among those whom the NJC had prevented from performing judicial duties last year, until the conclusion of their cases. But the Council lifted the order after its meeting in June, and directed the affected judicial officers against whom no charges had been filed, to return to their posts.
This latest directive comes after they were arraigned.
- APC MAKES MOVE TO SETTLE FIGHT BETWEEN GOV. BELLO AND DINO MELAYE
The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, John Odigie Oyegun, has set up a reconciliation committee to end the crisis rocking the Kogi state chapter of the party, involving Governor Yahaya Bello and Senator Dino Melaye who have been at each other’s throat for some months.
The seven-man committee is chaired by retired General Idris Garba while the party’s Deputy National Secretary, Honourable Victor Giadom, is the secretary.
Its members are Mr. Don Etiebet, Honourable Patricia Etteh, retired Group Captain Rufai Garba, Mr Umar Lawan Kareto, and retired Group Captain Joe Orji.
Oyegun urged the committee to see that the duo are fully reconciled.
- FULANI HERDSMEN THREATEN FAYOSE OVER BUHARI’S RETURN
Fulani Herdsmen in Ekiti state on Monday has threatened to mount a legal action against the governor, Ayodele Fayose, for making disparaging and uncomplimentary statements on President Mohammedu Buhari’s health.
The National Coordinator Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, Alhaji Garus Gololo, who disclosed this at a news conference in Makurdi, asked Fayose to immediately tender an unreserved apology to all Nigerians and Buhari, otherwise, Fulani herdsmen would take legal action against him.
Gololo said that Fayose abandoned his constitutional duty of providing good governance to his people, which he was elected for, to attack Buhari while on a hospital bed.
- I NEVER SAID I WILL COMMIT SUICIDE IF BUHARI RETURNS ALIVE – FAYOSE
Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State has insisted that he never said he will commit suicide if President Muhammadu Buhari returned to Nigeria arrive.
According to his Chief Press Secretary, Idowu Adelusi, he said, “Mr. Fayose never said he would commit suicide if the President returns to the country,” he insisted.
“It is the creation of the APC. It is their style to create such falsehood.”
He said, instead, the governor had wished the president well and had joined others in praying for him.
He however, ask those going about the rumour to debunked it.
- TRUCK CRUSHES NINE TO DEATH IN EDO
Tragedy has said to have struck at Oka market in Ikpoba – Okha Local Government Area of Edo State after a truck driver made it way into a commercial bus leaving no fewer than nine persons dead. It was learnt that the deceased include two children and the bus driver.
It was gathered that the incident occurred on Eguasco Street at about 6am on Tuesday. The driver of the truck was said to have escaped as soon the accident occurred. A resident in the area, said that at least six of the passengers, including the driver, died on the spot, while three others who were rushed to Akugbe hospital died later. Moreover, the development was said to have angered the youths who took to the streets to protest the death of their colleague.
- BUHARI TO WORK FROM HOME, WRITES TO NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday wrote to the two chambers of the National Assembly to hint the federal lawmakers that he had resumed work after spending 104 days outside the country. The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina , disclosed this in a statement on Monday .
Adesina said the President signed a letter notifying the National Assembly of his resumption. A copy has been sent to the Senate President and a copy has been sent to the Speaker, House of Representatives, so the President has resumed ,” he said .
Meanwhile, Buhari who returned to the country on Saturday will be working from his official residence, and not his office, for now.
A Presidency source, who spoke to State House correspondents on condition of anonymity, attributed the development to ongoing renovation in the President’s office.
- FG SPENT N1.3 TRN ON CAPITAL PROJECTS IN 2016 – OSINBAJO
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo said yesterday that the Buhari administration spent N1.3 trillion on capital projects in 2016, the highest in the history of the country. Osinbajo disclosed this at a plenary of the 2017 Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) national conference in Lagos with the theme: “African Business: Penetrating Through Institution Building.” Osinbajo said the administration had set a solid foundation for the nation’s economic recovery which, he described, as the most important reform of the administration and that they had also cleared what he described as a mess inherited from the previous administration.
He noted also that agricultural sector had witnessed hi-tech farming and investments with more people taking to farming.
- PDP RESTATES EFFORT TO RECONCILE WITH OBJ, ATIKU, OTHERS
The Caretaker Committee Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, said on Monday the process of reconciling aggrieved members of the party, including ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo ; ex- Vice- President Atiku Abubakar; Senate President, Bukola Saraki; and other chieftains of the party , who defected to other parties, was in progress.
According to him, the newly – inaugurated reconciliation and disciplinary committee had recorded progress in this regard , adding that the party was working towards ensuring that the PDP form a formidable force to defeat the APC in the 2019 general elections.
He finally blamed the ruling APC for allegedly victimising past PDP leaders, noting that the same allegation of corruption was already trailing the current government.
- MAN CHASED OUT OF OBA OF BENIN’S PALACE FOR ALLEGED SACRILEGE
An elderly man, in Benin has been sent out of the palace of the Oba of Benin, His Royal Majesty, Oba Ewuare II, for reportedly committing a sacrilege against the palace. It was learnt that the man, identified simply as Dr. Ogiugo, had been in the palace where he had a case adjudicated by the Oba.
He was said to have incurred the wrath of the traditional institution when he reportedly failed to kneel before the Oba in line with the Benin custom.
The incident occurred during the weekly peace mediation by the monarch last Thursday.
Angry Benin chiefs present described the scenerio as a sacrilege, they were said to have ordered him out of the palace.
The video had been going viral on social media that the man had been banished as a Benin chief but a source close to the palace, who confirmed the incident on the ground of anonymity, dismissed the speculation.
- FG ‘BANS’ OLAMIDE’S ‘WO’, 9ICE ‘LIVING THINGS’, DAVIDO’S ‘IF’ AND 2 OTHERS
The Federal Government has reportedly banned Olamide’s new record ‘Wo’ alongside other songs tagged as “Not to be broadcasted”, following recent controversies. The National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) released the list, saying it has banned the 5 songs from being aired on all local radio and TV stations.
The songs are: Olamide‘s ‘Wo’ and ‘Wavy Level’, Davido‘s ‘Fall’ and ‘If (Remix)’, and 9ice‘s ‘Living Things.’
There has been no official reason why the songs were blacklisted but the Federal Ministry of Health had in a tweet on Friday said that the video to Olamide’s “Wo” is in violation of the Tobacco Control Act 2015.
It was also recalled that Rapper Falz had also in June criticized musicians who showcases fraud with their lyrics.