The relentless Biafra activist, Nnamdi Kanu, in a bid to actualise the said Republic of Biafra has become a more popular, notorious or controversial figure in the country. His recent moves which have been causing tension and violence in the South-Eastern part of the country has left the question ‘who is this Nnamdi Kanu?’ on the lips of every one.
Encomium.ng brings you facts about the separatist leader. . . .
1. Nnamdi Kanu’s full name is Nwannekaenyi Nnamdi Kenny Okwu Kanu.
2. He was born in September, 1967 in Isiama, Abia State, Nigeria to the family of His Royal Highness Eze Isreal Kanu and Ugoeze Nnenne Kanu.
3. He attended Library Avenue Primary School, Government College Umuahia, University of Nigeria but he did not complete his education there, after two years of studying there. He moved to London Guildhall University now known as London Metropolitan University to study Political Economics.
4. He has two known siblings – Princess Chinwe Kanu and Prince Emmanuel Kanu.
5. He is married to Uchechi Okwu Kanu.
6. He is a political activist who is British-Nigerian by nationality. He is the known leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and also the director of Radio Biafra, a London based radio station.
7. Nnamdi Kanu, however, reignited this fight in 2012 when he formed the IPOB organization to champion the quest of the Igbo people to have their own Nation outside Nigeria.
8. He came to limelight when he was arrested by the Department of State Security (DSS) on October 14, 2015 on charges of Treason.
9. He was kept in prison for a year and a half without trial regardless of the fact that the court had on numerous occasions ruled that he be released.
10. Outside the court the organization he had roused also embarked on demonstrations and protest on numerous occasions to request his release, but all efforts proved futile.
11. He was eventually released on April 28, 2017, on bail and also given a list of bail conditions to meet if he intended to stay free, but Nnamdi Kanu being the rebel that he is has managed to break all the rules his bail conditions set for him.
12. He even got himself quite a number of hefty bodyguards probably so that the next time the DSS pays him a visit he would not be caught unawares.
13. Nnamdi Kalu is not only known for his controversial politics, he believes in Judaism and being a Jew by virtue of the fact that he is Igbo and Igbo people are of Jewish descent. He has been spotted visiting mountain tops to practice this Judaism he proclaims.
14. Nnamdi Kanu has also been known to endorse violence to actualizing Biafra sometimes and then other times when asked about such statements of his, he shifts his stance by giving explanations that somehow do not correspond to the interpretation people had hitherto given to his earlier statements.
15. One of such violence endorsing statements of his is the one he made on September 5, 2015, as a guest speaker at the World Igbo Congress which was held in Los Angeles California. He said, “We need guns and we need bullets”. Of course, people assumed he meant he needed guns and bullets to better fight for the actualisation of an Independent State of Biafra.
16. Nnamdi Kanu later on in June 29, 2017 during an interview said that statement he made only implied that he wanted guns and bullets to better defend the Igbo people from incessant attacks by the Fulani Herdsmen.
– Chika Okorie for encomium.ng