Super Eagles forward, Ahmed Musa is set to complete his long mooted switch to Leicester City after the Barclays Premier League Champions broke its transfer fee record with a £16.6m deal with Russian club, CSKA Moscow.
Ahmed Musa (born 14 October 1992) is known for his blistering pace, dribbling, composure, versatility and defensive effort. He has been compared to Jesus Navas and Arjen Robben for his pace and his ability to cut inside and cause havoc, he is a good creator as well as corner specialist.
Here are 12 highlights of Musa’s glittering career so far.
- Musa set the Nigerian league goals records in the 2009–10 season when he scored 18 goals for Kano Pillars, a record that stood till November 2011 when Jude Aneke of Kaduna United F.C. set a new goals record of 20 goals.
- He transferred to Dutch club VVV-Venlo in summer 2010 but the move was held up because he was only 17 years of age and therefore not eligible to play until October 14, 2010 when he eventually turned 18 years of age.
- On August 5, 2010, at the age of 17, Musa made his debut for the Nigeria senior team in a qualification match for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations against Madagascar, where he came on as a substitute for John Obi Mikel in a 2–0 win.
- Musa scored his first goal for the Super Eagles in a March 2011 friendly against Kenya.
- He was rated by Goal.com amongst the Hot 100 young football stars in the world to watch in 2011. Lolade Adewuyi for Goal.com put him on the list of Top Ten Nigerian International Players of 2010 and was also included in IFFHS list of the best 140 players in the world.
- On 8 March 2011, Ahmed Musa won the AIT footballer of the year award (national). The ceremony was held at the Presidential Hotel, Port Harcourt, Rivers State. The event had in attendance, BBC African Footballer of the Year winner, Ghanaian Asamoah Gyan and the top officials from the Nigerian football federation including the president Aminu Maigari.
- In August 2011, Musa represented Nigeria U20 in the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup held in Colombia, where he scored three goals in five matches. Musa was included by FIFA in shortlist of 10 candidates for the Adidas Golden Ball.
- On January 7, 2012, Musa signed for Russian side CSKA Moscow for an undisclosed fee.
- After appearing in all of Nigeria’s qualifying matches, Musa was named in Stephen Keshi’s squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He scored two goals in the team’s final Group F match, a 3–2 defeat to Argentina.
- Musa is the first Nigerian to score more than once in a FIFA World Cup match after scoring twice against Argentina in the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- On June 1, 2015, Musa signed a new improved four-year contract with CSKA, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2018–19 season.
- On July 4, 2016, Musa Joined Leicester City Football Club