President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, July 20, 2016, submitted the name of former Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Nsima Ekere to the Senate for confirmation as the Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
Obong Nsima Ekere’s name was submitted alongside Victor Ndoma-Egba who was appointed as Chairman of the Niger Delta Development Commission.
Mr. Ekere will replace Mrs. Ibim Semenitari who has been acting as the Managing Director of the commission since Mr Bassey Dan Abia was removed by President Buhari last year.
Here is all you need to know about Obong Nsima Ekere
- Obong Nsima Ekere was born on May 29, 1965.
- He is a native of Ikot Oboroenyin,Edemaya Clan in Ikot Abasi Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.
- He is married to Mrs Ese Nsima Ekere.
- Ekere started his secondary education at Regina Coeli College, Essene, Ikot Abasi, and completed same at Mary Knoll College Ogoja, Cross River State.
- He had a brief stint at The Polytechnic, Calabar between 1981 and 1982.
- He completed his tertiary education at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where he graduated with a B. Sc. Honours Degree in Estate Management, in 1986.
- He is a fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Estate Surveyors and Valuers (FNIVS).
- He is a registered member of Estate Surveyors and Valuers Registration Board of Nigeria, ESVRBN.
- He is also a Senior Certified Valuer, International Real Estate Institute, IREI, Minnesota, USA.
- And he enjoys associate memberships of the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation, IRRV, London.
In 1989, Mr. Ekere set up Gassons Nigeria Limited, an indigenous anti-corrosion, environmental, fabrication/maintenance engineering company.
Before joining politics, Ekere was the Principal Partner of Ekere and Associates, a firm of estate valuers and real estate development consultants with offices in Port Harcourt, Lagos, Abuja and Uyo, which he started in 1993.
He sat on the board of the Voice of Nigeria (VON) and served in various entities like Universal Energy Resources Limited, Anchor Insurance etc., before emerging as the Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom State.
Mr. Ekere’s active political career began in December 1997 when he contested and won election into the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly during the Abacha Transition on the platform of the Grassroots’ Democratic Movement (GDM). But he wasn’t inaugurated before Abacha died in June 1998 and that transition was truncated.
Mr. Ekere joined the People Democratic Party (PDP) at the start of Abdulsalami Abubakar’s transition in 1998 and played a very active part in the politics of the Akwa Ibom State till he emerged the Deputy Governor on May 29, 2011.
In March 2008, Mr. Ekere was appointed Executive Chairman of Akwa Ibom Investment & Industrial Promotion council (AKIIPOC), the investments and industrial promotions’ arm of the Akwa Ibom State Government. He also severed simultaneously as Chairman of Ibom Power Company, the independent power generating company owned by Akwa Ibom State.
He resigned from the PDP on personal grounds on October 31, 2012.
Nsima Ekere was the leader of the G22, a group of 22 disgruntled PDP governorship aspirants for the 2015 governorship who decamped to the APC after losing out in their respective primaries.
- Olalekan Olonilua for encomium.ng