The death of 42-year-old Eunice Elisha, a deaconess at the Gbazango-West area of Kubwa, a satellite town in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja has raised religious, ethnic and social concerns in the country.
And here are some facts about the Redeemed evangelist :
1. She was stabbed in the stomach and had a cut on her neck
2. Mrs. Eunice was found dead with a copy of the Bible, a megaphone and a mobile phone early hours of Saturday morning, July 9
3. Until her death, she was a female pastor who worshipped at Divine Touch Parish of the RCCG, Old NEPA Road, Phase 4, Kubwa
4. The deceased would have turned 43 later this month
5. She got married to Pastor Elisha Olawale in July 2000 and they have seven children together
6. The murder occurred between 5 am and 5.30 am; her killers are still unknown
7. A mosque had warned her about some of her preaching in the neighbourhood
8. It was her usual practice to go out early in the morning for ‘Morning Cry’ (evangelism)
9. She had no quarrel with anyone that could have warranted her murder
10. Her last words were… “Blood of Jesus!, Blood of Jesus!”
11. Pastor Elisha fainted on seeing his wife’s corpse at the police station and was later revived
12. Wife of the RCCG General Overseer and Wife of the Vice President have visited the family.
Olawale Elisha (Husband): “My wife was so committed to anything that is of God. She was a reckless giver to God’s work. She rarely missed any programme in the church.
“I see her as a martyr and she died for Christ and whether the people are caught or not, they should forgive them. My prayer is that if they can accept Christ, that will be a gain to Christ,”
David Ude-Chukwu (Lawyer and family friend): “I have known this family for about 20 years and I can describe Mrs. Elisha as an industrious, humble and Christian preacher who was passionate about Christ. When I heard that a woman was killed, I was wondering who it was until I learnt she was the victim of this barbarous and dastardly murder. Obviously, she was killed on account of her religious activity. Under the law, all Nigerians were permitted to practise their religion, but I don’t know why some people are intolerant. Her murder also showed that there is no security in this country.”
Pastor Adebayo Tiamiyu (Neighbour): “Mrs. Eunice Olawale was known as a passionate preacher who went out every morning to evangelise and she had been doing this for many years. Everybody loved her because of her passion for things of God. I learnt that she went out to preach as usual when she was attacked and killed by unknown people. She was stabbed in the neck and the stomach and nothing was taken from her because we saw her GSM phone, megaphone and Bible with her, so obviously, the intention was not to rob, but to kill her. The husband is still in shock and we had to sedate him, so that he can sleep. It is a very tragic incident and we call on security agencies to track down the perpetrators and bring them to book.”
Asabe (Neighbour): “Mrs. Olawale normally goes out for evangelism everyday and she was well known in this area. We heard that a woman was killed around Pipeline junction, some metres from the house. In fact, it was one of her sons who came back to tell his father that he learnt a preacher was killed at the pipeline junction. We all went there and saw lot of blood on the ground, but the police had evacuated her corpse to their station.”
SeyifunmiAdebote for encomium.ng