‘No stolen item found on her’ – Counsel, BARR. OSIFOWORA
THE end is yet to be seen of the theft allegation levelled against budding actress, Yetunde Akilapa, who was said to have been arrested, prosecuted and remanded in Kirikiri Maximum Prisons, Lagos, for six months for burgling a house in Shomolu, Lagos sometime in February 2013.
Also on Sunday, January 12, 2014, she was said to have been caught taking a nap in the dining room of another house in Magodo Phase 2, Lagos. And she was suspected to be there on a wrong mission. While being interrogated by the occupants of the house, she was reportedly beaten to a pulp as she couldn’t explain why she was in the place. She was later handed over to the police in Magodo Police Station.
“I am not a thief. I didn’t steal anything, I don’t know what’s happening to me. I have every reason to believe my problem is spiritual. I can’t even explain the circumstance I found myself. People should not ruin my life and career. I am fed up with life. I am not what people think I am. It’s mysterious.
“I have never been to Kirikiri Maximum Prisons as alleged. God, please help me out of this mess. As I am speaking to you now, I am in Ibadan, Oyo State seeking the face of God. And I believe I will get out of this quagmire one day.”
Asked if she is a kleptomaniac as also alleged, she reacted, “I am not a kleptomaniac, I have not stolen anything.”
Also asked to react to the alleged ban by Odunfa Caucus, she said, “There is nothing like that. When I heard the rumour, I called all my bosses, and they said there was nothing like that. So, it’s just a rumour. People are only interested in fuelling issues because of my situation. Nobody banned me from acting.”
‘She is not banned or suspended’ -BARRISTER BOSUN OSIFOWORA
WE write to expressly correct the impression that Yetunde Akilapa has been banned or suspended. She has not received any verbal or written notice to that effect.
Yetunde is very sorry and remorseful that her name is involved in such things. She has very much regard for the industry and Odunfa Caucus, more reason she fights hard to always clear her name. It’s ridiculous to suggest she will be expelled when it is abundantly clear that she was cleared of any wrong doing but needs physical, emotional and spiritual help. There is no dignity fighting someone on the floor.
We also like to correct the following impression:
– Yetunde was never in Kirikiri Prisons during the first case. The matter was charged to court and bail application was granted and condition met same day which the media are aware of. The case lasted three months and she attended court from home not from custody.
– There was nothing like master key and on no account did the police say the keys found on her were compared to any key hole of rooms in the house and it opened. Why are journalists fielding people with stories so untrue? They were her house keys, just four pieces.
– On this second case, whoever broke the news lied. Yetunde was never accused of stealing. The accuser suspects she may have been sent to drop some fetish substance. Must lies sell stories?
– The case got a twist when in an effort to prove her innocence of diabolical intention, she confidently stated she is a budding actress. One of the guys googled her name, found the previous story, hit her in a swift reaction, hence she fainted. The guy had since apologized.
– It was on this note the police were informed and the matter was settled and it was made abundantly clear her accusers were always at fault. One thing now led to the other until it dawned on her, after public accusation she began to realize she is in the wrong place.
– We are all Africans, efforts are in top gear to find a lasting solution to this menace. She needs your prayers, not persecution now.
Reacting on behalf of Odunfa Caucus, on Akilapa’s alleged ban by the group, Mr. Yomi Fabiyi, CEO, Rocklaf Studio, said, “My opinion is that the association has procedures. With the report highlighted on social media, it looked half baked. To me, half truth is worse than a lie. I want to believe if she was caught with stolen items, the items must have been stated. She said they found her with four keys and nothing suggests the keys fit into any of the doors there. The association or group will even need to investigate the matter, especially when the reporter seemed to be filing the report on a third party account. If there was any ban whatsoever, where is the proof? Then, who banned her from acting? The association does not condone crime in any form, and will act upon authentic information. So, Yetunde Akilapa, to me, has not been banned. But that will be investigated if necessary.”
– TADE ASIFAT