The beautifully packaged Cuppy Gold Gala in Abuja on Sunday, November 10, 2019, where Geregu Power Plc chairman Femi Otedola stunned the world with a N5 billion donation to Save the Children, had many highlights that catapulted the event into 7-star.
From invitation cards to the splendor Congress Hall was turned to, stars of politics, business and entertainment in attendance to wondrous performances by scores of dancers and singers, it was a night difficult to forget.
Here are some highlights from the game-changing event we can’t stop talking about:
(1) Femi Otedola, the stylish man of means who wears only white traditional ensembles in Nigeria and Tom Ford’s delicately assembled ensembles abroad, mounted the stage only once.
Not to make any announcement. But to feature in a group photograph with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Africa’s wealthiest man Aliko Dangote, All Progressives Congress Chairman Adam’s Oshiomhole and a few governors.
(2) The house was stunned when Tolani Otedola stepped on the stage to announce her father’s donation.
Her announcement of N5 billion didn’t at first register. Only a few heard her clearly and applauded. But when the master of ceremonies Henry Nzekwu repeated the figure, guests broke into a song and a dance and cheered to no end.
(3) The CEO of Save the Children Kevin Watkins as well as the foundation staffers were dumbfounded at the announcement. Many of them covered their mouths in stupefaction. And were full of praises as they assured the donor that every kobo will be put to good use.
(4) DJ Cuppy works so hard!
And it was so glaring as she read her speech reassuringly, got her dance routines masterfully and sang some of her popular tunes.
Those who know said she paid painstaking attention to details during rehearsals – and her stagecraft bore witness to those rigorous hours.
(5) Sisters’ support was on show as Tolani and Temi were on hand at the defining gala with a stamp of gold.
Arriving in good time, they both showed what sisters can do for one another. Not an iota of rivalry in view.
Tolani even performed one of her most known songs, Ba mi lo.
(6) Dangote the godfather supported god daughter with N100 million.
Eulogised by DJ Cuppy as a very inspirational godfather, Alhaji Aliko Dangote made the second largest donation.
Africa’s richest man in navy kaftan arrived early to allow his best friend, Femi Otedola, a caring shoulder.
(7) Master organizer F. O. on his feet all through.
Arriving Abuja days before the event, Femi Otedola left no one in doubt that he’s an organizer with eyes for the minutest details. On his feet almost all through the event, he attended to this and that, ushered in very important guests and ensured he chatted with hundreds of guests like a dutiful host.
Not once did he refuse a selfie from friends and admirers.
(8) Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has the gift of the garb.
From the beginning to the end, we were spellbound by the speech of the ‘second in command’.
The Professor of law mesmerized us as he spoke about government’s interventions and why Nigeria needs more cheerful givers like Otedola.
He has conquered the teleprompter as his speech appeared extemporaneous.
The two prompters to his left and right appeared as props of less significance to the uninitiated.
(9) Ambassador Babagana Kingibe who’s a looming figure in the Presidency stayed long after most of the political bigwigs had departed.
The running mate of Basorun MKO Abiola was glued to his seat, enjoying a conversation with Hajia Bola Shagaya, soaking in the fun and exchanging pleasantries.