The public snub of Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi by Oba of Lagos, His Royal Majesty Rilwan Akiolu on Tuesday, April 25, 2017, cannot be anchored on his bad eyesight.
Sympathisers relying on the glaucoma suffered by Oba of Lagos leading to his constantly adorning dark sunglasses indoors failed to realise six things:
1. The invitation of the Ooni to the event must have been well known to Oba Akiolu. What’s more, a seat was reserved for him.
2. The arrival of Ooni was chanted by some of his aides as he made his way to greet the Obi of Onitsha (NnayelugoAlfred Nnaemeka Achebe) and Oba Rilwan Akiolu.
3. The exchange of pleasantries by the Ooni and Obi of Onitsha must have been overheard by Oba Akiolu.
4. Oba Akiolu is familiar with the voice of Ooni, and he deliberately ignored the greetings.
5. The Obi of Onitsha was said to have drawn the attention of Oba Akiolu to the courtesy extended by Ooni, and he still didn’t rectify the snub.
6. When the Oba of Lagos had the opportunity to publicly correct the infraction as he was handed the microphone, he still ignored the Ooni who acknowledged him on the podium.
So, the snub was intentional!