-6 important things about the royal nuptials
Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi has finally confirmed his wedding to Wuraola Zaynab Otiti Obanor!
With an invitation card, the rumour of the dalliance of the king and his Bini princess has turned real – and on Saturday, March 12, in Benin (Edo State), both will be united as husband and wife. The following day, in Ile-Ife (Osun State), a thanksgiving and reception will wrap up the months of speculation and uncertainty about the marital status and drama.
Here are a few facts to prepare you for the royal nuptials we can’t stop talking about:
- On Wednesday, March 2, 2016, high society was officially informed that indeed, Ooni of Ife will get married when Polo and Cat Construction boss, John Obayuwana sent a text message to his friends confirming the nuptials.
He wrote: ‘…This is to inform you that my niece, Otiti Z. Wuraola is getting married to the newly crowned Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, the Ojaja II of Ile Ife in Benin City and Ife on the 12th and 13th of March 2016 respectively.
‘I would be highly honoured if you would be my special guest.
‘Please, save the date and kindly text me your address and email for a formal invitation.
‘With best regards,
John O. Obayuwana.
- Thereafter, the wedding invitation surfaced. With two crests, the purple and white invite for the Benin leg of the ceremony stated:
The families of Obanor and Obayuwana request the pleasure of the presence of _____ at the traditional wedding ceremony of our daughter Otiti Z. Wuraola to His Imperial Majesty Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, the Ojaja II of Ile Ife on Saturday, twelfth of March, two thousand and sixteen at Twelve noon, Edo Hotel premises, No. 4 Okada Drive, GRA Benin City, Edo State.
The second invite, with the crest of the King and House of Oduduwa underneath read:
His Imperial Majesty, Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II and Olori Wuraola Otiti Zaynab Ogunwusi cordially request the pleasure of _____ to the thanksgiving ceremony of their traditional union on the 13th of March 2016 at The Royal Court of Ife, Aafin, Enuwa Square, Ile Ife, State of Osun, Time: 12 noon.
- The king, a graduate of Accountancy from Ibadan Polytechnic, 41 this year, was married to Adebukola Adebisi Ogunwusi who turned up at his coronation on December 7, 2015.
It is unclear why they parted ways. While some claim she didn’t get on well with his love-child, others allege irreconcilable differences.
- The 51st Ooni was once linked to Aderonke Ademiluyi, also from Ile Ife, but palace sources denied any romantic liaison. Ademiluyi, popularly called ‘Rukkies’ (the name of her fashion brand in Lagos), now organizes African Fashion Week London (AFWL).
- Who’s Wuraola Otiti Zaynab Obanor? Apart from being John Obayuwana’s niece, all other news about her are speculations.
Some said she’s an architect, based in Dubai and once married. That she has Ife roots (from Oluyare compound, Iremo Quarters) and Bini ancestry.
- What’s clear, however, is that Ooni of Ife has a daughter Adeola Anuoluwapo, who is now 21.
He had her when he was 19. She’s at the University College London for her masters, after graduating from University of Manchester (July 2015).
The young lady who grew up in Ibadan (Oyo State) was once a student of American University of Nigeria (Yola, Adamawa).