News

Timeline of Chibok abduction  (June 23 – June 27, 2014)

Here is a timeline of happenings surrounding the abduction of Chibok school girls in the past week…

MONDAY, JUNE 23, 2014

Abuja Police quizzes Dino Melaye over Chibok girls protest

The police in Abuja quizzed former member of the National Assembly’s lower chamber, Hon. Dino Melaye over his involvement in a  #BringBackOurGirls protest demanding the freedom of over 200 female students abducted by terrorist sect, Boko Haram from their school in Chibok, Borno State.

Melaye, who is the Executive Secretary of Anti-Corruption Network was interrogated on Monday, June 23, 2014, by the law enforcement agency.

Hon. Melaye was earlier invited through a letter from the Office of the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, with Ref. No. CR/3000/FIB/FHQ/ABJ/VOL.T/137 and dated June 20, 2014, directing him to appear, “To discuss crucial issues of security concern.”

The letter was signed by one Steve Okoshone, an Assistant Commissioner of Police, ACP, for Assistant Inspector-General of Police, Force Intelligence Bureau. In his reaction, Melaye said the struggle to liberate the masses from the clutches of political vampires was a battle of no retreat, no surrender.

He said that it was criminal to maintain silence in an unjust society, saying it would lead to the legalization of dictatorship.

TUESDAY, JUNE 24, 2014

Singer, Adokiye, offers virginity exchange for abducted Chibok girls

Nigerian pop singer and peace ambassador, Adokiye has caused a social media storm by offering her virginity to fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram in exchange for the return of hundreds of kidnapped school girls.

A total of 276 girls were taken from the largely Christian North-Eastern town of Chibok by the militants on April 14. Majority of the school children remain missing, despite international pressure for their safe return through the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign. However, the 23 year old musician and actress from Imo State took the protest to the extreme. She said in an interview with Vanguard, “It is just unfair. They are too young. I wish I could offer myself in exchange.

“Even if 10 to 12 men have to take me every night, I don’t care. Just release these girls and let them go back to their parents.”

It would be recalled that the pretty singer had earlier revealed that she was yet to know any man.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25, 2014

Boko Haram hit by spiritual attack, flee the Sambisa

It has been revealed that Boko Haram members are now fleeing the Sambisa forest to local government areas across Borno State owing to strange developments in the forest, believed to be spiritual attack. This hint was given by two members of the sect who were arrested on Wednesday, June 25, 2014, at Mairi ward behind University of Maiduguri by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force.

According to Kolo Mustapha, one of the insurgents arrested, snakes are now attacking them in the forest, and the snakes “disappear” after they bite.

He said some of their leaders have escaped to neighbouring Cameroon, because they could be easily recognized by the Nigerian authorities. According to him, those of them who lived all their lives in Maiduguri have nowhere to go but to return to the town.

He said they came in Tuesday and were trying to hide in some uncompleted buildings when some members of the Civilian JTF identified them and had them arrested.

Mustapha pleaded for his life saying he had not killed anyone, but his friend, whom he was arrested alongside, had killed people.

His friend, who gave his name as Umar Abor, however, refuted Mustapha’s claims saying they had all participated.

According to him, they had realized their mistakes and had turned a new leaf. They also promised that if spared, they would help the community in fishing out some of their members.

Ali Musa, leader of the Civilian JTF at Bama Road, who arrested the sect member, told newsmen that many of them have been fleeing the Sambisa forest since two weeks.

FRIDAY, JUNE 27 2014

US cut downs surveillance flights in search for Chibok girls

The United States has reduced its surveillance flights in the search and rescue mission for the more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram after building a body of intelligence with other states ramping up support, a US official has said.

Nigeria has committed itself to the hunt for the girls, who were kidnapped in April in one of the violent sect’s most spectacular attacks, and received help from the United States and other world powers, including its neighbours.

The senior US defense official (who didn’t want his name in print) said that its intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) flights, first announced in May, were now flying at an “intermittent” rate.

The official said overall intelligence- gathering had not diminished, and noted additional operations by Britain and France.

He told Reuters: “We had substantial initial coverage for the baseline and we’ve moved into a maintenance mode.” The official declined to say if the surveillance lasted for about a week or two.

The Pentagon had said on Thursday that there were “around the clock” intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) operations in support of Nigeria’s search. US military personnel are in Abuja helping to coordinate the effort.

The United States also sent about 80 US military personnel to Chad in May to support the surveillance operation. Last month, US officials played down expectations about a swift rescue of the girls and stressed the limitations of intelligence gleaned from surveillance flights.

-MICHAEL NWOKIKE

Comments

comments

About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.